By: Pastor Chris
Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life." (John 8:12 NLT)
I remember seeing my first Advent wreath as a child. One of the first things I noticed was the unique white candle. I remember asking my Pastor (also my grandfather) why it was white. He sat down with me and explained that the white candle is called “The Christ Candle,” and always reminds us that Christ Jesus is the Light of the world.
This candle represents not only Jesus' birth but also the light (truth) of His message. Imagine - God became human!! In scripture, we see Christ revealed:
- The prophet Isaiah proclaims a time when those who walk in darkness will see a great light. A light will shine, and a child will be born to us. (Isaiah 9 NLT)
- John declares that this great light is Christ, the Word made flesh. (John 1 NLT)
This magnificent light lives among us. By it, we behold God's glory full of grace and truth. He is Emmanuelle “God with us.”
1. When have you experienced Christ, the Light of the world, working in your life?
2. What areas of your life do you need Christ to shine His truth into? Pause and invite Him into these spaces today, right now.
3. This Christmas, think of a person in your life who you can sit down with and share the significance of The Christ Candle, just like my grandfather did so many years ago.